We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
I believe most intentional moms want their children to grow up to be happy, responsible people! Moms also want to have good communication with their children…as they grow into school age, during the teen-age years, and as they leave home and become adults.
I believe that one way to make that happen is to communicate with our children NOW!
One of our favorite ways to communicate as a family is with dinner conversation cards. We don’t get to them every evening…but when we all eat together it is fun to see what people are thinking about.
Good communication with my children is something I’ve been thinking a lot about lately (maybe it comes with having teenagers!) But even as a mom who is at home with her children, I can’t always sit down and have a long one-on-one chat with my kids…and then the mom guilt sets in!
Honestly, I’ve realized over the past several years that I’m not the best communicator! BUT…I have been making a conscious effort to be better! And one way that I enjoy communicating is by letter writing!
To help me communicate better with my girls…I got some notebooks…one for each of my daughters. My idea was these notebooks would go back and forth between us. They would be a place we could share our thoughts, feelings, and struggles. And they would be something my daughters could go back and read and remember how much their mom loves them.
I found 3 cute notebooks with similar designs but different colors at Walmart. (I think these notebooks on Amazon are really cute too!)
It has been so sweet and often touching to get a glimpse into my children’s thoughts through these notebooks. They share things differently in writing than they do verbally.
To be honest…I have written more than my daughters…and that’s ok with me. Because I want them to have a good record of how much I love them. If I feel like I need to write to them I go get the notebook from their room and write…even if it is “supposed” to be there turn.
When Do I Write?
- These notebooks provide opportunities to communicate anytime…however, I always make sure I write something at the beginning of a school year. I want to encourage and get them excited for what is coming up (especially if I know they will be facing some challenging stuff…it’s a great time to let them know that I believe in them and I know that they can do hard things!)
- I also like to write after they have done something awesome…whether that is a piano recital or being extra nice to one of their siblings. Writing after doing something that isn’t outwardly awesome can be especially meaningful.
- I try to write when they accomplished something that was hard or took a lot of effort. It’s always nice to be noticed after giving your all to a project.
- These notebooks have also been useful for me after we have had an argument. I can express my love to them…possibly before they are ready to get a hug from me!
We all want to have happy families. I love our notebooks as another way to communicate… they are also a bit like a journal. It’s fun to go back and read things we wrote a year ago (or more) and reflect on what was going on or what we were struggling with!
Make it Happen!
- Order some notebooks from Amazon or get some at your local Walmart.
- Write a letter to your child on the first page letting them know how much you love them. Explain that you want this notebook to be a way for the two of you to share ideas, thoughts and feelings. Encourage them to write back to you.
Share Your Ideas!
How do you keep the communication open in your family? Do you have any special traditions or habits that make talking to your kids easier?